Department of Modelling and Simulation was founded in October, 1993 at the RTU Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology on the basis of wide experiences in both
education and research in the area of modelling and simulation of complex systems, already accumulated at the faculty by that time.
Decision Support Systems Group was joined in year 2003 at
Department of Modelling and Simulation.
Main activities are in the field of discrete-event simulation; at the same time, there are interests and experiences in simulation of continuous systems as well. Simulation projects are performed mainly on the basis of IBM-compatible personal computers. Both general (e.g., C++, Pascal, Visual Basic) and simulation (e.g.,
SIMAN/ARENA, Witness, Promodel, MATLAB, STELLA) languages and systems are used.
The department is a basic unit for the Latvian Simulation Society that is the first professional simulation organization within the former Soviet Union. Members of the department take an active part in activities of international simulation societies (such as The Society for Modeling and Simulation International (SCS), Arbeitsgemeinschaft Simulation (ASIM), The Federation of European Simulation Societies (EUROSIM)), regularly participate in international simulation events and take part in their organization as well.
The following international events were/will be held on the basis of the department:
- international conference "Simulation, Gaming, Training and Business Process Reengineering in Operations" (September 19-21, 1996)
- international workshop "Modelling and Simulation within a Maritime Environment" (September 6-8, 1998)
- international Technology Transfer workshop "Increasing Efficiency of Latvian Companies through Computer-Aided Simulation" (December 18,1998)
- 2nd international conference "Simulation, Gaming, Training and Business Process Reengineering in Operations" (September 7-9, 2000)
- international conference "Harbour, Maritime & Multimodal Logistics Modelling and Simulation" (September 18-20, 2003)
- international conference "European Simulation Multiconference", ESM2005 (June 1-4, 2005)
- Seventh International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN2015) (June 3-4, 2015.).
- COST ACTION TD1406 Innovation in Intelligent Management of Heritage Buildings. Action Meeting and Think Tank on Heritage Buildings and their Surroundings in conjunction with Meeting on Social Engagement in Heritage Buildings
13-14 April 2016, Architects House, Torņa Street 11, Riga, Latvia
- 2nd International Conference on Systems Informatics, Modelling and Simulation", SIMS2016. (June 1-3, 2016).
The Latvian Center of the SCSI McLeod Institute of Simulation Sciences (MISS) operates on the basis of the department (with Dr.habil.sc.ing., Prof. Yuri Merkuryev as Director).
Department of Modelling and Simulation collaborate actively with organizations in the following countries: Belgium, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, Sweden, Great Britain, Lithuania, Russia, USA, Spain, China:
- University of Ghent (Ghent, Belgium)
- Otto-von-Guericke University (Magdeburg, Germany)
- Fraunhofer Institute (Magdeburg, Germany)
- University of Genoa (Genoa, Italy)
- Delft University of Technology (Delft, The Netherlands)
- Linkoping University (Linkoping, Sweden)
- Cranfield University (London, UK)
- Kaunas University of Technology (Kaunas, Lithuania)
- Russian Academy of Sciences Institute of Control Problems (Moscow, Russia)
- University of Arizona (Tuksona, USA)
- Autonomous University of Barcelona (Barcelona, Spain)
- Hope Ltd (Beijing, China)
- University of Ljubljana (Ljubljana, Slovenia)
- Warsaw University of Technology (Warsaw, Poland)
- Austria University of Applied Sciences (Hāgenberga, Austria)
- Lalagunas University (Lalaguna, Spain)
- Mobius Ltd., St. Martens-Latem (Belgium)
- Eurodecision Ltd. (Versailles, France)
- Dortmund University, Department of Computer Science (Germany)